Quarterly safety award presented to deserving Airman
By Lt Col Mitchell Neff, 140th Wing Safety
/ Published September 21, 2011
BUCKLEY AFB, Colo. -- Tech. Sgt. Steve Esworthy-Jones has been selected for the second quarter (Apr - Jun 11) Quarterly Mishap Prevention Safety Award for his outstanding safety consciousness while performing his work duties. His consistent safety contributions may have prevented a serious mishap and have significantly helped the 140th Wing Safety Mishap Prevention Program. Sergeant Esworthy-Jones has distinguished himself and contributed to safety in the following areas:
· He presented a motorcycle safety briefing during drill to the entire 140th Logistic Readiness Squadron.
· He authored a shop Job Safety Analysis (JSA) paper to ensure personnel were aware of shop hazards while performing duties.
· He took the initiative to write a shop specific hazard communication (HAZCOM) plan and train assigned personnel on safe chemical use.
· He found expired eye wash bottles on service trucks and ensured immediate replacements.
· He created a training program that matches all AF Form 55 requirements and briefs all personnel annually.
· His keen observation led him to notify Base Safety of a vapor hazard in the refueling maintenance bay due to an inoperative vapor alert system.
· He put together an instructional briefing on how to safely back-up a vehicle after several deaths occurred in the Air National Guard (ANG). This briefing was used by the Vehicle Maintenance Advisory Group (VMAG) and was distributed to all vehicle maintenance units in the ANG.
· During the shop's 16 August 2011 Annual Inspection, Sergeant Esworthy-Jones had zero discrepancies and the comments from the inspectors were "best shop seen to date"!