Colonel D. Micah Fesler is the Wing Commander, 140th Wing, Colorado Air National Guard, Buckley Air Force Base, Colorado. The 140th Wing has over 1500 personnel in support of F-16C+ fighters (Air Combat Command), Space Control and Warning (Air Force Space Command), and Civil Engineering (Pacific Air Forces) missions.
Previously Col. D. Micah Fesler served as the Joint Staff, J-8, Special Access Program Coordinator, Pentagon, Washington D.C. His responsibilities include managing Joint Staff Special Access Program aspects for programmatic, strategic, and contingency planning to support CJCS, VCJCS, the Combatant Commanders and the Director Joint Staff J-8. Prior to assuming his current duties, he served as the Director of CNGB Strategic Analysis, Futures, and Initiatives (J59), National Guard
Bureau, Pentagon, Washington D.C. Col. Fesler earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Political Science from the University of Utah in 1996, and was commissioned a second lieutenant through ROTC in that same year. He attended pilot training at Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training and was selected to fly the F-15C. Since pilot training he has flown the F-15C and F-22A, and served in a variety of operational, training, and staff assignments.
Col. Fesler also served as a National Security Fellow at the Harvard, John F. Kennedy School of Government. He commanded the Virginia Air National Guard’s 149th Fighter Squadron, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va. where he was responsible for the worldwide rapid deployment and employment of F-22A air dominance fighter pilots and associated support personnel to execute Combatant Commander taskings. He served at Air Combat Command as the Chief of the Air National Guard's 5th Generation Fighter Division where he worked on requirements and modernization for both the F-22A and F-35. Col. Fesler also served at the U.S. Air Force Warfare Center as the Chief of Advanced Programs, where he was responsible for applying cutting edge technologies and capabilities in worldwide combat operations and operational plans.
Col. Fesler is a graduate of, and instructed at, the United States Air Force Weapons School in both the F-15C and the F-22A. He is a command pilot with more than 2,000 hours, primarily in the F-15C and F-22A. He has participated in numerous joint and coalition exercises, and has flown both aircraft in combat over Syria and Iraq.
1996 Bachelor of Science Degree in Political Science, University of Utah, Salt Lake City
2003 U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2011 Master of Applied Science, Environmental Policy & Management, University of Denver, Denver, Colo.
2015 Air War College, by correspondence
2017 National Security Fellow, Harvard, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2019 Seminar XXI Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
1. July 1996 - June 1998, student, Euro NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training (ENJJPT), Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. July 1998 - January 1999, student pilot; Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. February 1999 - August 2002, F-15C Instructor Pilot and Assistant Chief of Weapons, 19th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
4. September 2002 - November 2004, F-15C Instructor Pilot and Weapons Officer, 390th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho
5. December 2004 - June 2007, F-15C USAF Weapons School Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 433rd Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. July 2007 - December 2009, F-22 Initial Cadre and USAF Weapons School Chief Instructor Pilot, 433rd Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. January 2010 - July 2012, Chief of Advanced Programs, U.S. Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. August 2012 - June 2014, Chief Air National Guard 5th Generation Fighter Division, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
9. July 2014 - June 2016, Commander, 149th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
10. July 2016 - July 2017, National Security Fellow, Harvard, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
11. July 2017 - May 2018, Director of CNGB Strategic Analysis, Futures, and Initiatives (J59), National Guard Bureau, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. May 2018 – August 2019, Special Access Program Coordinator, Joint Staff J-8, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
13. August 2019 - Present, Commander, 140th Wing, Colorado Air National Guard, Buckley AFB, Colo.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 2,000+
Aircraft flown: T-3, T-37, T-38 A/B, F-15 A/B/C/D, F-22A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
AF Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal
Massachusetts Medal of Merit
Virginia National Guard Bronze Star Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 27, 1996
First Lieutenant June 27, 1998
Captain June 27, 2000
Major July 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 15, 2012
Colonel April 28, 2017
(Current as of SEPTEMBER 2019)