Brig. Gen. Floyd W. Dunstan is Assistant Adjutant General – Air and Commander of the Colorado Air National Guard. He is the principle advisor to The Adjutant General of all Colorado Air National Guard matters. General Dunstan is responsible for the mission readiness and operational effectiveness across a broad spectrum of programs and activities involving over 1600 military personnel serving at four locations within Colorado. In this role, General Dunstan oversees development of operationally trained, equipped, and mission ready forces in support of national defense requirements and emergency response, relief, and recovery operations throughout Colorado.
General Dunstan was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps upon graduation from the United States Air Force Academy in 1987. He served as an F/A-18 pilot, instructor pilot, squadron Weapons and Tactics Instructor, and as a MAWTS-1 F/A-18 Instructor. He joined the Colorado Air National Guard in 1998 as a Traditional Guardsman and has served throughout the Colorado Air National Guard at the squadron, wing, and headquarters level. General Dunstan commanded the 120th Fighter Squadron in 2008 and led the squadron on a combat deployment during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Prior to his current assignment, he was the 140th Wing Commander. General Dunstan is a command pilot with more than 4100 hours in the F-16, F/A-18, and F-5 and 350 combat hours flying in Operations NORTHERN WATCH and IRAQI FREEDOM.
1987 Bachelor of Science, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1993 United States Marine Corps Weapons and Tactics Instructor Course, Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, Ariz.
1995 United States Marine Corps Amphibious Warfare School, by correspondence
2004 United States Air Force Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 United States Air Force Air War College, by correspondence
2011 Joint Task Force Commanders Course, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2012 Space Operations Executive Level Course, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. July 1987 - December 1987, Student, The Basic School, Marine Corps Base, Quantico, Va.
2. January 1988 - February 1988, Student, United States Marine Corps Infantry Officers Course, Marine Corps Base, Quantico, Va.
3. March 1988 - June 1988, Student, Aviation Indoctrination, Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla.
4. July 1988 - February 1989, Student, Primary Flight Training, Naval Air Station, Corpus Christi, Texas
5. March 1989 - May 1990, Student, Intermediate and Advanced Jet Training, Naval Air Station, Beeville, Texas
6. June 1990 - May 1991, Student, F/A-18 FRS, VMFAT-101, Marine Corps Air Station, El Toro, Calif.
7. June 1991 - January 1995, F/A-18 Weapons and Tactics Officer, Chief Scheduler, Naval Air Training and Operation Procedures Standardization Officer, VMFA(AW)-242, Marine Corps Air Station, El Toro, Calif.
8. February 1995 - May 1998, F/A-18 Weapons and Tactics Instructor, F-5 Adversary Pilot, MAWTS-1, Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, Ariz.
9. July 1998 - February 1999, Command Post Officer, 140th Wing, Buckley Air Force Base, Colo.
10. March 1999 - July 1999, Student, F-16 RTU, 152nd Fighter Squadron, Tucson International Airport, Ariz.
11. August 1999 - June 2002, Pilot, Mission Planning Cell, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
12. June 2002 - September 2003, Assistant Flight Commander, Scheduler, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
13. October 2003 - October 2006, Alert Detachment Officer in Charge, Flight Commander, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
14. October 2006 - April 2008, Director of Operations, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
15. May 2008 - May 2010, Commander, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
16. May 2010 - November 2010, Chief of Wing Plans and Inspections, 140th Wing, Buckley AFB, Colo.
17. December 2010 - June 2011, Chief of Joint Staff, Joint Force Headquarters, Centennial, Colo.
18. July 2011 - March 2013, Vice Commander, 140th Wing, Buckley AFB, Colo.
19. April 2013 – May 2017, Commander, 140th Wing, Buckley AFB, Colo.
(June 2013, Commander, 346th Air Expeditionary Group, MSAB, Jordan)
20. May 2017 - Present, Assistant Adjutant General - Air, Colorado Air National Guard, Buckley AFB, Colo.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 4400 (350 Combat)
Aircraft Flown: F-16, F/A-18, F-5, TA-4, T-2, T-34
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four devices
Air Medal with five devices
Aerial Achievement Medal
Navy Commendation Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor with device
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Navy Unit Commendation
Navy Meritorious Unit commendation with device
Combat Readiness Medal with five devices
National Defense Service Medal with device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Iraq Campaign Ribbon with two devices
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with two devices
Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with device
Air Force Longevity Service with six devices
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two 'M' Devices
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1987
First Lieutenant May 20, 1989
Captain Oct. 1, 1991
Major Feb. 12, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 7, 2005
Colonel Jan. 21, 2011
Brigadier General May 5, 2017
(Current as of Apr 2018)